Infolinks In Text Ads

Loved it!

Wake A Watersong Novel ebook

Wake A Watersong Novel ebook

Review from July 17th, 2012:

Having read and enjoyed Hocking's Trylle trilogy, I was curious to see what her next series was about. Wake is an intriguing siren story, and I can't wait for the second book, Lullaby, to release in 2013.

Wake is about two sisters, Harper and Gemma.

After a car accident leaves their mother unable to live at home, Harper finds herself feeling responsible for both Gemma and their father, Brian. She doesn't socialize much. She's focused on working, preparing for college, and her family. She isn't one for going out, or even dating. Gemma, on the other hand, is on the swim team at her high school. And Gemma, unlike Harper, manages to find time for a love life - something that will nearly destroy her in the end. At the beginning of the story, both girls seem like typical teens. Until one night, when Gemma heads out for her nightly swim, and she doesn't make it back.

When Harper finds Gemma at the bay the next morning, she isn't sure what happened, but she knows that the "creepy girls" (Penn, Thea and Lexi) are somehow involved.

The ending of Wake will leave you desperate for the second book.

The final scene between Harper and Gemma is heartbreaking, and I can't wait to see what Harper does next.

Like I said, I'm a fan of Hocking's Trylle trilogy, so I was incredibly excited to get my hands on a copy of Wake. She has a knack for creating a world that readers are able to easily lose themselves in, and Wake is no exception. Had it not been for a cold, I would have devoured this book in one setting.

Thank you to St.Martin's Griffin for sending me an ARC for review.

Get your Wake A Watersong Novel ebook Now!


Category Article

7 Responses to “West Shops”

  • Joy Wiley says:

    When I first looked at Wake by Amanda Hocking, I was pretty sure that the story would be interesting considering what the cover looked like. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its' cover, but when it looks like that you can't really blame me. However, once I read the synopsis the story had my attention completely. Lately, I've found myself a huge fan of mermaid novels--but this one story was absolutely nothing like what I expected... it was better!

    The novel is about main character Gemma who is a powerful swimmer who is beginning to fall in love with her childhood friend Alex. Three new girls enter town...they're beautiful and hold an age-old secret that is far more dangerous than the reader can imagine when first entering the story. One thing that was interesting about the novel was that it had two stories inside of one. There's the story of Gemma and her transition from normal girl to a gorgeous siren, and the story of her older sister Harper who worries for her sister and how her life is affected by the entrance of the sirens. Don't deny it, guys. That sounds pretty freaking awesome and you know it.

    Wake was a thrilling read. It started off a bit on the slow side, but it was written in such a captivating way that I was compelled to continue reading. I couldn't stop even if I wanted to. I had to know what would happen next and if I wanted to stop, my brain would say "One more chapter... Or maybe three" because it was just that good. When it came to the topic of the sirens and their existence, I was frightened at the depth of the mythology behind them, especially since it involved Greek mythology and held a story that was both tragic and magical. Plus `the curse' that all the sirens have, stuck with the mythology and held properties that were dark and frightening.

    I loved the romance in Wake. Either it was the full out relationship between Gemma and Alex, or the cute flirting between Harper and Daniel. The romance and interaction between characters is unparalleled to anything I've ever read before. When it came to Gemma and Alex, I hated knowing that because of Gemma now being a siren she could never truly love because nobody would truly love her ever again. When it came to the plot, I was shocked at the amount of creepy twists and turns that kept me interested in the novel--well that and the series of murders.

    I would recommend Wake to fans of mermaid lore, Greek mythology, YA romance and fans of Amanda Hocking's other works. A fun read that started with a bang and ended with one too.

  • Leo Stevenson says:

    I've enjoyed anything that Amanda Hocking has written thus far so I went in to this book with high expectations. I was definitely not disappointed. I've never read anything about sirens or mermaids so I was very interested in this latest series.
    I was pulled in pretty quickly to Gemma and Harper's world near the sea. The author did a great job setting things up and taking time to give some background on Gemma and Harper's family life - dad at home, but mom not. I like that although Gemma is the main focus of the book, her sister Harper (my favorite!) is well-defined and has a bit of her own story. I can tell that she as well as her and Gemma's relationship as sisters will be very important in the coming books.
    The guys were cool too - Alex, the best friend next door turned Gemma's crush and Daniel, the slightly older guy living on a house boat (loved that he likes Harper because he seems like he will totally challenge her!).
    The siren girls were definitely creepy. I really enjoyed getting in to that mythology and I look forward to knowing more in the coming books.
    This is a great start to the series and I definitely want to read more, and soon!

  • Mariana Roy says:

    When I started Wake, I was fearful that it was going to be just another mermaid story. I was elated to find that it was not. There is a nice twist on the story that is rooted in Greek mythology. I truly love Amanda Hocking's prose. Her description is lovely. Her sentences flow seamlessly.

    Gemma is a strong heroine that struggles with family issues, a new boyfriend, an over-protective sister, three mysterious and beautiful strangers, and the disappearance of local teens. There are a few curse words and a little kissing, but there is nothing that is truly inappropriate for the suggested YA audience. This is a book that I will highly suggest to my middle school students.

  • Katy Case says:

    When I first started reading Wake I thought I was about to start my second ever mermaid book. Note to everyone, there are NO mermaids. I also had no idea that there was going to be a mythological background story. I was so EXCITED for that!! I love mythology!! Needless to say, I throughly enjoyed reading Wake, it took me less than a day to read it and was a fairly easy and quick read. I actually hadn't read anything by Amanda Hocking before (although the Trylle series sits on my shelf, so I will get to it!!), so this was a very nice introducing into her writing style. I will be eagerly awaiting Lullaby, the next book in the Watersong series. I've very happy to see that there are 4 books planned in the series.

    So I just have to say it, I love the cover of Wake!! It's so pretty. I'm really a fan of the underwater covers that have been coming out lately. Maybe because I like the blue that comes with it. The font that is used is also one that I'm a fan of. I find the cover fairly simple overall and it doesn't really give anything away in the book. So really enjoying the covers of this series, the one for Lullaby is on Goodreads and is equally as nice, they will look very nice on my shelf.

    Wake follows Gemma and Harper, two sisters that are very different. Gemma is a star swimmer, she is hoping to get to the Olympics someday. She's carefree, pretty and has a thing for Alex, the bor next door. Harper has given up her childhood to look after Gemma after their mom was in an accident. She is smart and reserved and Alex is her oldest friend. It's all she can do to try and keep Gemma out of trouble. Suddenly boys are going missing, but Gemma is fearless and still continues her nightly swims in the bay. One thing the two sisters can agree on it the new girsl in town, Penn, Lexi and Thea are bad news. Gemma tries to avoid them, but they won't leave her alone.

    I enjoyed both Gemma and Harper as characters. I would say that Harper is a lot like me, so I was really able to relate to her. Gemma was a bit harder for me to relate with, but she was still a character that I enjoyed getting to know. Both girls are great characters who try to do what is right and they are both falling for guys that they least expected to fall for.

    Overall this book really surprised me in that it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, in a good way. It was really enjoyable with great characters that I was able to relate with. The story was well written and had small surprises in it. If you like mythology, you should definitely add this one to your TBR. Amanda Hocking is a great author and I will be reading more by her soon! With a bit of paranormal, mythology and romance, Wake has made it's way to one of my favorite reads. It's a book that I will be highly recommending. Definitely check out this series!

  • Jeffrey Ayers says:

    this book is SOOOO COOL!!!! from start to finish was nothing but amazingness! I wanted to read it slowly to make it last that much longer because i hated to see it come to an end.. but i also wanted to get to the end to find out what the mystery was and was happens next.. i couldn't put this book down for one minute! Wake has really cool characters and a awesome storyline!!! i cant wait for book two!!!!!! thank you Amanda Hocking for giving us another fantastic book!

  • David Freeman says:

    Review from July 17th, 2012:

    Having read and enjoyed Hocking's Trylle trilogy, I was curious to see what her next series was about. Wake is an intriguing siren story, and I can't wait for the second book, Lullaby, to release in 2013.

    Wake is about two sisters, Harper and Gemma.

    After a car accident leaves their mother unable to live at home, Harper finds herself feeling responsible for both Gemma and their father, Brian. She doesn't socialize much. She's focused on working, preparing for college, and her family. She isn't one for going out, or even dating. Gemma, on the other hand, is on the swim team at her high school. And Gemma, unlike Harper, manages to find time for a love life - something that will nearly destroy her in the end. At the beginning of the story, both girls seem like typical teens. Until one night, when Gemma heads out for her nightly swim, and she doesn't make it back.

    When Harper finds Gemma at the bay the next morning, she isn't sure what happened, but she knows that the "creepy girls" (Penn, Thea and Lexi) are somehow involved.

    The ending of Wake will leave you desperate for the second book.

    The final scene between Harper and Gemma is heartbreaking, and I can't wait to see what Harper does next.

    Like I said, I'm a fan of Hocking's Trylle trilogy, so I was incredibly excited to get my hands on a copy of Wake. She has a knack for creating a world that readers are able to easily lose themselves in, and Wake is no exception. Had it not been for a cold, I would have devoured this book in one setting.

    Thank you to St.Martin's Griffin for sending me an ARC for review.

What's on Your Mind...

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.